7.09.2007

growing up

the other night, we were sitting looking at old pictures of our childhood that my mom is putting into scrapbooks for us. the one she is currently working on is called "just the 2 of us" - all pics of my brothers together over the years.

it is a strange thing as the eldest sibling to watch your younger siblings grow up. it's very easy for us "first children" to continually look at our younger counterparts thru the same eyes we saw them thru years ago. especially when we are around them all the time.


it has been amazing for me over the past several years to watch my brothers grow into adults. for some reason, this trip has accentuated that more than any other.

  • watching gordon, dressed in his business-casual striped button-down and khakis with name badge around his neck and walkie on his hip, in action at his job at Coors Stadium the night we went to the game.

  • visiting brandon's apartment in downtown denver where he lives with his girlfriend and a new kitten that they adopted.

  • having my brother invite me out for sushi and say he is paying!

  • discussing serious life issues with both of them instead of fighting about who did what.

crazy how quickly that change to adulthood happens. seems like just recently we were all at home together playing with our friends and sitting at the dinner table for meals.

but the reality is that my bros are not the little kids that i used to see them as. they are grown men. and i am so proud to say that i am their sister.

as strange as the change is, i rather like it.

3 comments:

sem said...

aren't they handsome!!!

faith said...

Yeah, it would be nice to have siblings pay for meals. haha. Anna bought me a frap the other day. :D

Anna Grace said...

That is an adorable picture of them as youngsters. I love old pictures!

I can't really relate yet. Hope and Luke are still very much so a good deal younger then I and not supporting themselves currently. (:

However, I can understand. And do.