7.12.2006

on carving . . .

when Michaelangelo was working with that piece of granite that eventually became David, one of his assistants asked him,

"how do you do this? how do you take this block and form something so beautiful?"

and Michaelangelo stepped back, and he said,

"that stone IS david.
i am carving away everything that is NOT david."

it was clear in his mind and in his design, and when he was carving, he was carving away everything that was not david.

God does the same thing with you and i.
he took this block of stone.
he declares us children of the living God.
he justified us in Jesus Christ that we might know him, the power of his resurrection.

why is there pain in my life? he is carving away everything that is not Christ in us.

that is the path of sanctification.
blessed be the name of the Lord.

"that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death." --phillipians 3:10


--from one of phil's recent sermon on "the fellowship of His sufferings"

blessed be the name of the Lord in all things, even our sufferings. for even those are meant for our good. for ALL things work together for good for those who love God.

you guys really gotta check out this phillipians series. fo' real. i ain't kiddin'. it's 100 xs better than any t.v. show. see link below.

8 comments:

anna grace said...

Neat post. I really really like that.

What a good picture. (:

Annmarie said...

wow, neat! is that why my right shouder hurt so bad when i got up this morning?! how long did it take Michaelangelo to finish David...

hannah said...

sarah welcome home! man i missed seeing you! maybe we can do some small group thing in august? I was just catching up on your posts, and "the real world" one is so funny... maybe you will be on tv in the back round..haha

faith said...

Where is the link to it? I didn't see it. Maybe I am blind.

faith said...

Nevermind, I found it back in the June posts.

Anonymous said...

Oh Phil. Have you ever seen the other carvings that are held in the same museum as the David- I actually think they are better than the David. But they are carvings he never fully finished...these blocks of stone where you can start to see people and forms starting to take shape. Maybe they are a better picture of what we are like. If only I could keep that image and perspective when I look at my brothers and sisters....

faith said...

It is from John Piper's "The Passion, fifty reasons Christ came to die" It is from the first Chapter. I read it this morning for family devotion. Haha. Other then that...it might have been used in church. But I wasn't here for two sundays, so I am not sure.

Sienna said...

sarah meadows! post!! put some photos on here too! i think i check your blog everyday hoping for some meadow news but never find any. day after day. so sad. so post post..!