12.06.2005

storytellers

i have been thinking lately . . . or maybe just noticing . . . how much i love reading good stories. actually, more than the stories, i like good storytellers. my friend kate is one of these. sienna howard is one too. i mean, i really, thoroughly enjoy these people. their stories, yes, but even moreso i just enjoy them. the people themselves. wonder why . . .

maybe i like these people because they possess something that i don't - the ability to make you see and hear an experience. maybe it's because they bring out creativity in me. maybe it's because they make me feel something. but i think, more than any of those, it is that these are people that really "see" things.

in order to write it, you have to be aware of it. these people think deeply and richly . . . they are aware of the small details of life . . . the sounds, the smells, atmosphere . . . of the things that make a particular experience truly rich and real . . . the things that make that moment precisely what it is. and they are sensitive and insightful to the reasons, the purposes, the underlying issues that linger in and under and around and within the stories that they tell.

i like these people.

because they make me aware of the details . . . and they prompt me to pay attention to what all those little details do to me on the inside (how the effect my thoughts, my feelings, my actions even). these people help me to see life more fully.

i like good storytellers.

No comments: